Living mindfully means stopping to smell the roses – or, at least, smelling the roses as you walk by them. It’s getting more out of life. It’s a richer experience with friends and family because you are really present. Here are 5 things to do in the morning to help you get set for a mindful day.
1. 10 Minutes of Being All There. Start your day with 10 minutes of focus. Do you hit the shower first thing? Really feel the texture of the washcloth. Enjoy the intensity of the water on your back. Take in the smell of your favorite shampoo. Be aware of your actions as you dry off. Focus on whatever you do. If you’re discussing the day with the children, really listen to them. Teach your mind to concentrate on the outside world instead of letting it wander.
2. Now be Quiet. Find another 10 minutes in the morning when you can be silent. Pay attention to when you want to speak and what you want to say. Know how you want to respond or talk – would you allow space for thought before those words come out?
3. Choose your Words. Of course, you can’t get through the morning without talking, but change the way you talk. Do it differently. Pause for just a couple of seconds before you make that comment or answer that question. Think about what you want to say and be mindful of the words you choose. This isn’t just “say something nice”. It’s taking time to clearly express yourself and being conscious of the words you choose.
4. Use Silence to be Mindful. Instead of listening to the hustle and bustle and the chatter, listen for the silence. It’s not all that easy to focus on the space between words or between sounds, but add this to your morning routine. For at least five minutes, every morning, teach yourself to find the silence – it will make you more mindful of the world – and the words – surrounding you. Use this trick during the day to make yourself more mindful.
5. Be a Star. You can start your own reality show in your head. Script yourself – “now, he (or she) is moving to the computer. The chair must be uncomfortable because she (or he) is squirming before they start to type. Ahhh, maybe he (she) was waiting to know what to write”. Keep the script playing so you are aware of your every action. Whether it’s taking out the peanut butter to make lunches, making the bed or looking for the car keys.
Being mindful is enjoying life more. It’s living in the here and now with awareness of yourself and those around you. Getting your morning off to a mindful start is a good habit that will help you be more mindful all day long. However, if you didn’t get a good night’s rest, being mindful may be the last thing on your mind. And, if it’s your mattress that’s keeping you awake, you may be worried about finding the right mattress – the one that’s both comfortable and affordable. Mindfully, turn on the computer and take a look at the Internet mattress dealers. You’re going to find wonderful supportive foam mattresses at a price that won’t break the bank. Plus, you’ll get as long as 120 days to know you’ve made the right choice – or you can return it for a full refund. That’s enough to put your mind at ease.