5 Reasons to Lower the Temperature in Your Bedroom
There are good reasons to take off the flannels, the flannel sheets and, even, sleep in the nude (it helps your body regulate heat). Science is telling us that a good night’s sleep starts with a cool temperature. Here are 5 reasons why.
1. The Way Out Body Works. Over a 24-hour period, out body temperature goes up and goes down. It is highest in the early afternoon and hits a low usually around 5 a.m. since sleep naturally cools our body. The natural loss of core heat is one of the things that helps make us sleepy. Sleep research shows that helping the body lower that temperature quicker can encourage a restful, deeper sleep.
2. You Fall Asleep More Quickly. Ideally, your bedroom should be between 60 and 67 degrees. Temperatures above 75 degrees may actually make it harder to get a good night’s rest and temperatures below 54 degrees can interfere with sleep. Your body attempts to regulate your temperature and giving it a helping hand by keeping the bedroom cool helps you fall asleep quicker.
3. You Get A Better Night’s Rest. Again, your body is trying to regulate your temperatures. Give it a break and you may get a sounder night’s sleep. Australian research has even shown that a cooler sleeping environment can help some insomnia. You want to rest so let your body rest by giving it the best a cool room that makes temperature regulation easier.
4. It’s About That Melatonin. Melatonin – we all want more of it – and sleeping in a cool room helps your body produce more melatonin, the anti-aging hormone. Sleep well – look younger. Does that make the cool room more comfortable?
5. Decrease Your Risk. A 4-month study showed that sleeping in a room that is 66 degrees, helped you burn more calories when you were awake and also increased the brown – or good -fat in your body. Brown fat helps burn calories instead of storing them. Put it all together and that cool bedroom could help decrease the risk for metabolic disease (diabetes is one) over time.
Does this convince you to turn down the thermostat? Your mattress can help you sleep cool, too. If you love a good, supportive foam mattress, think latex foam. It sleeps cooler than other foams and it’s easy to find a great latex foam mattress at a very affordable price. Just check the internet. You’ll find a latex foam mattress — with a long trial period so you can be sure it’s right for you –and an extremely affordable price!