5 Things to know about Taking a Nap
You’re in good company – Albert Einstein, Thomas Edison and JFK were all nappers. They knew that a short nap provides significant benefits. Here are 5 things to know about napping.
1. Performance. A study by NASA showed that when sleepy pilots or astronauts took a 40 minute nap their performance improved by 34% and their alertness by a whopping 100%. A short nap will help you function better and it won’t leave you groggy. The alertness gained from a nap may last throughout the day.
2. Feel Good. Think of your nap as a little vacation when you set aside the cares of the day and do something for yourself. Napping has psychological benefits. It’s an easy way to rejuvenate yourself and relax. It’s a pleasant little luxury you can give yourself.
3. No Drowsy Driving. The CDC who tracks such things says that in 2013, drowsy driving was responsible for 72,000 crashes, 44,000 injuries, and 800 deaths. Hopefully, when you get behind the wheel you’re well-rested and alert, but if you have to drive and you’ve had a bad night’s rest, nap first. If you’re driving and get drowsy, they recommend you pull over – in a safe place – and take a 20-minute nap. This is a nap that could save your life.
4. Earlier Is Better. You don’t want to take a nap late in the day. It can make it difficult for you to fall asleep and get that restful night’s sleep. Think middle of the day – that Spanish siesta. Too early and you may not be ready to nap – too late and there the possibility of problems at bedtime.
5. Make A Nap Place. Sleep is greatly affected by the environment. If you think you’d benefit from napping, make sure you can darken the room and limit noise. For working moms and dads who can make it home on their lunch hour, think how nice a dark, quiet place and a little shuteye would be. Buy those blackout drapes and put a nap on your schedule.
Whether you’re napping or turning in for the night, you want a restful bedroom – and a comfortable bed. If getting rested is made difficult by the lumps, bumps and troughs in your old mattress, you can afford the latest great-night’s-rest mattress – a latex mattress. Just shop online instead of in a showroom and you’ll find big savings that will have you sleeping well and waking up rested – whether it’s 1 in the afternoon or 6 in the morning!