We all need a place where we can go to relax — place where we feel comfortable and secure. We want a place that is calm and welcoming. And, we want a place where love can flourish. Make your bedroom that sanctuary of tranquility, peace and love. Here are 6 steps in that direction.
- YOU! Creating that special place takes the cooperation of you and your partner. It should not be a place to discuss little Johnny’s failing math grade or how horrible your boss was today. When you enter your bedroom, try to leave problems at the door. Yes, it’s a place to reconnect, but do your best to make that a loving, companionable connect. Discuss problems elsewhere.
- Color counts. A fiery red is not very relaxing – and bright yellow brings too much sunshine in. Think of the ocean, the sky, the soft greens of a spring morning. Those are great tones for your bedroom. If you want a more masculine look, think soft browns and greys – they work!
- A place to sit. There are times when you want to curl up with a book or your own thoughts. There are mornings when you’d love to just relax with your partner over a cup of coffee and not have to balance it in bed. If there’s room make sure that there are a couple of chairs or a loveseat. You’ll be glad to be able to slip away into your retreat.
- Make the bed inviting. Pay attention to your bed linens. Make them soft and comfortable. This is a place where it’s worth the few extra dollars to shop for quality – and you can always look online for quality at a discount. Hide utilitarian pillows behind big pillows with European shams. Fold a coverlet or soft throw at the bottom of the bed. If you want to go all out, think about the privacy (and sexiness) of a tented bed or a canopy.
- Get rid of the clutter. You can’t relax in bed if you lie back on your daughter’s doll or your dog’s bone. Likewise, a messy desk or dressing table takes away from a calm ambiance. While you’re taking out the clutter, take out as many electronics as possible. You don’t want your bedroom to be the place where you check up with Facebook on your cell phone or balance the budget on your tablet.
- Sights and smells. Excite all your senses. Add a beautiful flowering plant or flowers – change them with the seasons. Add scented candles – chamomile and lavender are wonderful – that perfume the air with scents that may help you relax and fall asleep. If you have a beautiful view of a lake, a forest or even the green of your backyard, put the bed where you can enjoy it. Even the view of a starry sky is a wonderful thing to enjoy.
Make your bedroom a wonderful place to relax and reconnect at the end of a busy day. But, don’t forget its main purpose – sleep! Make sure that your mattress is comfortable for both you and your partner. Think about a latex mattress. It’s got it all – great support, cool, breathable comfort and enough bounce to make life more fun!