If you let your man decorate the bedroom, how would it turn out? Are you thinking a video game console on the bedside table? Here are 5 trends that men like in their bedrooms. Maybe one of them will work for both of you.
1. Keep It Simple. They say form follows function and that may be true if a male decorator is creating his own space. Forget any extras. Keep it simple and functional. A bed, a chair – possibly a table to enjoy that morning cup of coffee. If there’s room, all clothes including those that are usually folded in a dresser may have their own separate space in the walk-in closet.
2. Touches of Nature. What is more masculine that the great outdoors? A man may choose to go rustic with a wall done in wood planks – possibly even a cabin look. Plaids and flannels can complete the outdoor vibe. Or, maybe a more modern approach that doesn’t recall a rustic cabin but uses good wood accents – a beautiful wood wall or a large wood headboard — can still appeal to a man’s love of nature.
3. The View. If you’re lucky enough to have a good view from the bedroom – whether it’s of your own landscaped backyard, the ocean, the forest or the city lights – take advantage of it. Men appreciate that large window (until it’s time for some privacy) so make sure those blackout drapes open wide to frame a beautiful view.
4. Textures. Keep them simple. A mix of concrete or block walls, wooden floors and soft, neutral bedding may be the masculine touches that he’ll appreciate. Don’t be afraid to layer the bedding, but keep the tones and the patterns neutral. Tans are great; greys are super!
5. Don’t be Afraid of a Pop of Color. Men may like it dark and simple – a black and white colors scheme or a combination of shades of grey, but don’t let that keep you from adding color. Deep blues are a favorite and can be incorporated in a rug – or in an accent wall.
If the bedroom belongs to just the guy, that’s one thing. If it belongs to the two of you, work together to create a room that is appealing to both of you. You want it to be your safe haven – your retreat from the pressures of the day. Pay attention to form and to function – but leave the office space (and all those gadgets) in the office. Create a bedroom designed for relaxing and don’t forget the most important thing in the room – the bed and the mattress on it. If it’s time for a new mattress, take a look on the Internet and be amazed at the affordable prices you can find on a quality mattress, like a latex foam mattress that’s delivered right to your door. Then, layer on that luxurious bedding that says relax!