Buying a Foundation for a Latex or Memory Foam Mattress
When buying a latex or memory foam mattress, it is important to have the proper foundation. The right foundation is crucial because it helps to maintain the structural integrity of the mattress. The mattress will last longer and so will the comfort/support qualities. We do not recommend using a box spring with any non-innerspring latex or memory foam mattress. In most cases, using one will void a manufacturer warranty, so be careful.
Below are some guidelines to find a suitable foundation for your memory foam or latex mattress.
The 4 Rules
- A foundation is not needed but can be used if an increased mattress height is desired.
- A slat foundation is acceptable if the slats are no more than 8″ apart (3″ is recommended).
- Placing the mattress on plywood, such as a platform bed, is acceptable.
- Whatever is used as a foundation, make sure it does not sag or is unsupportive.
Types of Acceptable Foundations
- Slatted Box Foundations (Box spring replacement)
- Steel Grid Foundations (Economical, work great)
- Adjustable Foundations (Offers various positional adjustments)
- Platform Foundations
Frequently Asked Questions
What can I use to replace my box springs and keep my existing frame?
You can use any solid bed box or slatted box foundation/frame to replace your old box springs. These are available online or at local retailers. We now provide an affordable and quality solution, see below: